Alec Baldwin request to drop Rust manslaughter case denied

A US judge has rejected Alec Baldwin’s request to dismiss a manslaughter charge in connection with the fatal shooting in 2021.
Halyna Hutchins, 42, was shot with a gun that Mr. Baldwin used for training on the set of Rust. the western film was filmed in New Mexico. Director Joel Souza was also injured in the incident.
Baldwin is scheduled to be sentenced in July.
Mr. Baldwin insisted that he did not pull the trigger, but simply pulled back the pistol’s hammer.
He also claimed that he was not responsible for the death of Mrs. Hutchins because he did not know that the gun contained ammunition and because there was no ammunition at the scene.
In April, the gunman at the scene, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was sentenced to 18 months in prison. He appealed the sentence last week.
Baldwin, 66, was indicted in January by a grand jury that brought up a new charge of involuntary manslaughter after prosecutors said there was new forensic evidence. He pleaded not guilty.
Similar charges against the Emmy-winning actor were dismissed last year, just two weeks before his criminal trial.

Baldwin’s lawyers filed a motion to dismiss the case earlier this month, accusing prosecutors of “unethical contempt” and “breaking almost every rule in the book” to get a grand jury indictment against the actor.
In a virtual hearing on May 17, Alex Spiro and Luke Nikas presented the case to New Mexico District Court Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer.
“This is a case about an accident at the border of the criminal code,” said Mr. Spiro.
He noted that the charges had previously been dismissed before special state prosecutors reinstated them, saying they wanted to “humiliate” Mr. Baldwin.
In his ruling Friday night, Judge Sommer denied the request and rejected claims that the grand jury process was biased against the actor.
Baldwin’s attorneys said in a statement, “We look forward to our day in court.”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *